What is the victory of a cat on a hot tin roof? Just staying on it I guess, long as she can.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

As sharp as a nib.


Excerpt from Dante's Inferno that provides an epigraph to the poem below. Read before listening.


The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T. S. Eliot is one of my favourite poems of all time. His reading always fascinates me, as the intonations that Eliot himself makes are very different to those that I would naturally make.

When the evening is spread out against the sky 
Like a patient etherised upon a table;  

The Guardian once did a series of articles centred on 'the writer's room', in which they published a photo of the space where a number of writers spend their writing time. Here are a few that I like.

Craig Raine

Roald Dahl

Virginia Woolf's garden toolshed writing room

Sebastian Faulks (I didn't expect this! Note the 'Keep Calm and Carry On' poster!)

Martin Amis - another garden shed conversion


I'm not usually a fan of cartoon artwork, but the witty work of Posy Simmonds is an exception:



No comments: